Monday, July 28, 2014

Budgeting the Yurt - is this the end of the dream?

I've had a look at how much it will cost to make a 16' yurt.  I estimate that the frame, roof, felt, canvas, and door will come in at about $2,300 CDN to make from scratch.  I hate to admit this, but a number that large is unobtainable for a person like me.

I haven't even begun to calculate flooring, finish for the wood, and furniture for the yurt.  Or if/how I will power it.  Plumbing... 

Doing the work is fine, it's basically a bunch of repetitive tasks; measuring, cutting, drilling, sewing, &c.  Though there are a few skills I don't have yet like how to make the hub and door.  But they can't be that difficult to learn... can they?

It's the material cost that has me stumped.  I look at this estimate and look at all that isn't included and I despair.  



Sure it's a good deal less than buying a new yurt.  I calculated a beautiful Mongolian 16' yurt, with basic furnishings, delivery, flooring, tax, &c. would cost roughly $25,000.  More than 10 times more than my guestimate for a DIY yurt.  This should make me feel better because a home build yurt will be so much less, but it doesn't.  


The time has come to evaluate whether or not a yurt is in my future.  I have good reasons to want a yurt, not just for future security but also as a sanity sanctuary.  There is also an overpowering desire for a simpler life that yurt living brings.  It is my dream, and I feel that I need to make it happen.  If not this year, then the year after... or the one after that.



When I estimated the cost of building a yurt, I did round up some numbers.  There is always things that one forgets to include, and the price of things has a habit of increasing.  But I also assumed I would have to purchase the materials.  Maybe I can find materials, either in nature or salvage them from discarded items.  This would make the financial cost more manageable.  

What I'm toying with is the idea that I budget $2,500 for making the yurt.  If I can save money on materials, for example finding wood that could be used to make a door instead of buying one, then I can take the money saved on the door and apply it to the floor, or furniture... So even though it would costs far more than $2,500 to buy the materials, maybe with a bit lot of creativity, it can be made for less.

But to find the money, the skills, the people... this means asking for help.  How is it making me independent if I need help to get there?  What could I possibly have to give back to people to thank them?

I think I could never ask... But I also know if someone asked me, and it was something I could do, I would help.

Then I think about crowdfunding... Some of the campaigns online seem so frivolous, and yet people have money to give, and they give it.  Is building a home anymore frivolous than making potato salad?


I don't think I have what it takes to run a crowdfunding campaign - I barely ever answer my emails, how can I pretend I would be any good at social media.  I blog as release, not because I expect people will ever read it.  With social media, we come to yet another skill and another area I need help with.  It's never ending.



Or maybe it is ending.  Maybe my yurt dream ends here.
I have a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment